According to the Scope of the Charge for Profits Tax, persons, including corporations, partnerships, trustees and bodies of persons carrying on any trade, profession or business in Hong Kong are chargeable to tax on all profits (excluding profits arising from the sale of capital assets) arising in or derived from Hong Kong from such trade, profession or business. There is therefore no distinction made between residents and non-residents. A resident may therefore derive profits from abroad without suffering tax; conversely, a non-resident may suffer tax on profits arising in Hong Kong.

Therefore, the company may appoint a tax representative for filing the tax return
to the Inland Revenue Department (“IRD”). However, IRD does not require a
person to engage a practising accountant in completing the Return Form.